The Fortnightly Club of Eugene was organized in December 1893 when Dr. Alice Hall Chapman, wife of the second president of the University of Oregon, invited a group of women to meet and discuss forming a women's study group. Thirty-two women accepted the invitation and listened as Dr. Chapman presented her idea with enthusiasm and encouragement. With some trepidation, twenty-two of those women decided to embark on the journey that has continued until today.
The subject of the first program was Art, presented by seven women and covering a variety of areas. According to rough estimate, well over a thousand papers have been presented by members since the inception of the club.
There has always been a close relationship between the Fortnightly Club and the Eugene Public Library. In 1895, members of the club established Eugene's first library with books from their own collections. They then went on to wage a campaign that resulted in the building of the first Carnegie Library in Oregon.
(From Nancy Kibbey's The History of the Fortnightly Club of Eugene, March 2010)
Records of the Fortnightly Club of Eugene are held at the University of Oregon, Special Collections and Archives, Knight Library.